Film and Wellbeing during lockdown
This month on our Instagram page we are focusing 20 films from 20 years to get you through lockdown 2.0
With the future uncertain during the current pandemic sweeping the globe, cinema has become more important to us than ever before. Film often raises issues around emotional wellbeing and can be used to begin conversations about a variety of complicated feelings - Into Film (check out their page for resources!)
Our staff at Somerset Film are all film lovers so we know all about using film to boost our mood, or to get us through tough times. You can read this BUPA article titled Three ways the cinema could boost your wellbeing to discover more about film's relationship to wellbeing.
Here are some other articles:
- Using film screenings to raise public awareness of mental health by Nursing Times.
- 5 very real benefits of watching movies by ABC life.
- Why do we go to the movies? by The Guardian.
- How watching movies can benefit our mental health by Psychcentral.
- On Repeat: why people watch movies and TV shows over and over by The Atlantic.
- Film therapy: the benefits of watching movies by Exploring your mind.
Of course cinema's are currently closed. That's why we're recommending films that are available to watch on a variety of platforms. Whether you've got a copy on VHS, DVD or access to an online streaming service, we're sure you'll recognise some old favourites and discover some new must sees!