Salary: £27,500 pro rata - four day a week role. (Six months initial contract with option to extend).
This post, situated within the management team, is line managed by the Creative Director and includes line management of three staff. See info graph of the organisations structure below.
An exciting opportunity to work for an organisation dedicated to empowering individuals and communities through film and digital technology and join an amazing team.
Our primary purpose at Somerset Film and Video is to support more diverse people and communities across the county to exploit the potential of creative film and digital media through the delivery of a programme of high quality community engagement, talent development and creative production that reflects and celebrates the distinctiveness of the county.
We work with our communities as peers and recognise that every individual has valuable skills and experiences to share. Our collaborative and peer led approach works to ensure that we listen, value and collaborate with underrepresented groups to develop high quality creative outcomes.
With this to the forefront of your mind, this post facilitates and supports this engagement through the processes described below. The person engaged should be a person with empathy, with a good grasp of detail, who is able to prioritize for the effective management of a highly creative and engaged team.
Production and Digital Services
- Attract, secure and line produce film and digital media commissions.
- Provide quotes and write tenders for film commissions, enquiries and leads.
- Develop and promote digital services and earned income strands such as live-streaming, equipment hire, courses/training etc
- Increase earned income to support investment in charitable activities.
- Contract and manage reputable and diverse freelancers.
- Ensure all productions meet our high quality standards before delivery to clients.
- Ensure the development of a diverse talent pool to draw on for courses and productions
- Signpost emerging talent to external opportunities and develop in-house opportunities for work experience, training and co-production.
- In particular to develop ideas or stories that reflect the concerns/interests of our local community and life.
- To enter Somerset Film work into competitions and festivals to maintain our profile
- To manage the daily operation of Somerset Film county wide, with the support of the Creative Director.
- To oversee and line manage the delivery of grant funded projects, in particular Outreach Projects eg. HLF, NPO.
- To provide reports to Funders and Trustees as required.
- To regularly pass on skills to others through in-house training, public courses, talks and other engagement activities
- To develop working relationships with partner organisations, groups and individuals.
- To line manage the Production Assistant, Technical Manager and Creative Technician.
- To oversee the public programme of activities and film screenings.
- To Duty Manage the building and events as required.
The following skills are essential for the job.
You will need to provide evidence of your involvement and level of skill in the following areas.
- Hands on experience of film making and production with the ability to come in on budget.
- Knowledge and experience of budgeting, writing quotes and tenders
- Experience of pitching ideas and of their development
- Experience of community engagement and working practice
- Experience of reporting for grant funded projects to a deadline
- Good understanding of of Equality, diversity and inclusive approaches
- The ability to assess the skills of others
- Good communicator who keeps abreast of other interested organisations, individuals and the developing media world.
- Leadership eg interested in and supportive of the individual and of the team
- Knowledge of Health and Safety current practice
- Experience of evaluating projects
- Desire to help develop the interests of the most vulnerable in society
- Environmentally aware
Applications in writing (covering letter, CV and completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form) to Chair of Trustees via firstname.lastname@example.org by using Producer Application in the subject line by 5pm on Wednesday 18th November. In your covering letter, please make your availability for the interview dates (during 25th November - 4th December) known to us and any access requirements you may have.
After initial assessment, we will notify short listed candidates on Friday 20th November of their interview date.
Ideally the role will commence as soon as possible but we are flexible, informed by required notice periods and the process of obtaining satisfactory references.
We encourage applications from disabled and BAME applicants who are underrepresented in our organisation.
The successful applicant will require a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.