The Engine Room is currently closed to the public in accordance with national guidance. Most of our activities and courses online for the time being.
When we re-open we anticipate the following will apply but please check this page for updates before setting out:
We aim to keep you informed should events/activities that are planned for venues need to change.
Other than the cafe, all staff interactions will be by booking / appointment only, to ensure that our building remains as Covid-secure as possible.
What to expect when you come visit us:
- To sign in on our Tablet on Entry and to disinfect your hands using the hand sanitiser provided.
- If you're with us for an appointment, to liaise with our Cafe staff and wait for directions. Our staff are now behind a a new and shiny protective screen!
- If visiting our Café, to please sit at one of our cosy tables (which are all positioned at a coovid-safe distance), as we are now providing table service!
- For all staff to be wearing PPE, (they will have measured their temperature regularly).
- To practice social distancing at all times (our staff will be doing this to keep you and themselves safe too).
- To use our posters to help guide you throughout the building (hand-washing, social distancing and other support).
- To use the disposable gloves and antibacterial wet wipes when visiting our bathroom.
Please note - it is not a requirement to wear a mask in the Engine Room. However, we strongly encourage you to wear a mask if that is your preference or will make you feel more at ease.
The Engine Room Sign in form is for visitors and cafe customers to support the NHS with any potential Track and Trace requests. Your data will be kept for the minimum 21 days and will be disposed of promptly and securely.
- The main entrance has level access.
- There is level access to our cafe, gender neutral toilets including a disabled toilet, Studio One and Studio Two.
- In Studio two there is an additional disabled toilet with level access.
- There is a slope to access a small external back yard area, which we fondly refer to as 'Central Park'.
- The second floor is accessible by a stair lift.
- The spaces on the second floor, which include staff office, Signal Box and Creative People and Places Office then have level access.
Most staff have disability awareness training. We have also received training in film subtitling.
- The walls and the doors have high colour contrast.
- Some parts of the venue have lighting, which is adjustable.
- Our brochure is available on request in audio and large print format.
- Assistance dogs are welcome and water bowels can be provided.
- There are short term parking bays opposite and close to The Engine Room, which can be parked in for longer by Blue Badge holders.
As an organisation, Somerset Film has declared a climate emergency and we're encouraging everyone who visits us to walk or cycle where possible.
Our address is 52, High Street, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 3BL.
We are located in the High Street and easily located on foot. Bridgwater has a rich heritage so whilst you are in the town you can enjoy a heritage trail and local independent shops. There are also additional local walking trails such as Coleridge Way and River Parrett Trail. If you're passing fill up your water bottle in our cafe!
Bridgwater Station is on the Bristol to Taunton line, operated by GWR. With frequent services from Bristol and Exeter, it's an ideal way to reach us from towns such as Taunton or Weston-super-Mare or further afield such as Paddington or Plymouth. If you have a physical disability then please be aware that Bridgwater station has limited accessibility - further info on facilities here. When you arrive take a moment to enjoy the Grade II Listed station buildings, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
The station is a 16 minute walk away from The Engine Room and on the way, you'll cross the River Parrett and pass a range of historic buildings that hark back to the town's heyday as a port town, especially along West Quay.
We are an eight minute walk from Bridgwater Bus station, where a number of National Express coaches stop and local buses including Number 75 (Wells and Street), local service number 14 (Bridgwater hospital to Nether Stowey) and Number 21 (Taunton).
Bus number 21 if coming from Burnham-on-Sea also drops off opposite Angel Place Shopping Centre in the High Street. From there walk up the High Street away form the main shopping area in Fore Street and we are on the opposite side of the road.
It's Better by Bike!
Please note that the High Street, where we are located, is a one way road. There are a number of posts suitable for locking up bikes to, directly opposite the entrance to The Engine Room.
Somerset County Council has produced a series of walking an cycling maps using a network of off and on-road maps, you can download one for Bridgwater here.
Travelling by Car
Download directions from the M5 here. Our address is 52, High Street, Bridgwater, TA6 3BL.
The nearest car parks are in Market Street and at Angel Place Shopping Centre. Additional Car parks can be found in Mount Street.
There are short term parking bays (one hour) opposite The Engine Room and slightly further up on the right hand side of the road. The High Street is one way.
There is also a loading bay directly outside the Engine Room. If you use this bay to collect equipment please be aware that parking attendants will require you to have your car boot open as an indicator that you are loading.